Why Do People Need Diabetes Prevention Tips?
The answer is quite simple – diabetes is a condition that’s spreading day by day in society like an epidemic. Globally, 347 million people have diabetes, and more than 80% of the deaths in developing countries are due to diabetes. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has predicted that diabetes deaths are likely to increase by two thirds by 2030.
This brings about the need for awareness about diabetes, the complications associated with it, and most importantly, diabetes prevention tips that help people delay the condition. It is important to aim for primary prevention of diabetes, particularly in countries where there is a high prevalence.
The Risk Factors Of Diabetes
While genetics play an important role, an individual still has the ability to influence his health to prevent diabetes. Obesity and a sedentary lifestyle are the biggest diabetes risk factors that are controllable. It goes without saying that people should watch their weight and exercise more. At first, it is important to identify the risk factors that the person is carrying with him or her.
The risk factors that could lead to diabetes are:
- Age (above 40 years)
- Positive family history of diabetes
- Increased abdominal fatness (Waist circumference Male >=90 cm, Female >=85 cm)
- Pre-diabetes(Impaired glucose tolerance)
- Sedentary lifestyle
Diabetes Prevention Tips For Better Health
Here are a few diabetes prevention tips that can help avoid the condition.
Diabetes Prevention Tip #1: Physical Activity and Weight Reduction
- Pursue activities like jogging, walking, swimming, and skipping.
- Walk for around 30 minutes daily.
- Always climb stairs instead of using the elevator. Climbing stairs for 10 minutes is almost equal to 30 minutes of walking.
- Avoid riding a motorized vehicle for short distances, and use a bicycle.
- Minimize the hours you spend in front of a TV.
- Beware of computer and internet addiction, because it keeps you immobile for hours.
Diabetes Prevention Tip #2: Stress Reduction
- Yoga and meditation can effectively help you relieve stress.
- To reduce stress, you can also try performing deep breathing exercises.
- Listening to soothing music regularly can be a stress relieving exercise.
Diabetes Prevention Tip #3: Dietary Modifications
- The amount of calories you take in should be perfectly sufficient for your daily activities, so avoid overeating.
- Green and leafy vegetables keep the body healthy and functioning, so include them in the diet.
- Always buy whole fruits and consume them. Fruit juices are best avoided, as fruits have more nutrients in their whole form.
- Ensure that you cut down on carbohydrate-rich food and increase your intake of fibre-rich food items.
- Include food items that are rich in proteins and include cereals in your daily diet.
- Fried food items and junk food items that are rich in fat are detrimental to health and best avoided.
- Milk products and sweets are best moderated, for long term health.
- Have a set number of proper meals everyday, and avoid bingeing on snacks between meal hours.
The American Diabetes Prevention Program, a large prevention study of people at high risk for diabetes, showed that lifestyle intervention in the form of weight loss and increased physical activity reduced the development of type 2 diabetes by 58% during a 3-year period.
Some diabetes prevention tips also recommend the use of medications. The use of medications like metformin and acarbose has been shown in trials to prevent type 2 diabetes in high-risk subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. It is likely that one or a combination of these approaches could make diabetes prevention a reality in the near future.