Total abdominal hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy and radical hysterectomy are the different types of hysterectomy procedures that are performed. Your surgeon will decide on which type of hysterectomy should be done depending on the problem. Hysterectomies are normally prescribed for the following reasons.
- Cancer in the reproductive organs
- Endometriosis occurs when the cells from the lining of the uterus grow in other parts of the body. It is often a very painful condition.
- Pelvic pain and abnormal vaginal bleeding.
- Growth of fibroids in the uterus.
- Uterus prolapse, a condition when the uterus slides into the vaginal canal
Doctors recommend a hysterectomy only when all other treatment options have been explored and this is determined during a hysterectomy diagnosis.
Types of Hysterectomy
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy:
Under complete or total hysterectomy, the cervix and the uterus are removed. This is the most commonly seen form of hysterectomy and is normally recommended in the case of cancer or fibroids growing in the uterus.