Greek yogurt is sold almost everywhere. Does that make you wonder why it is such a craze and whether you can make it at home? Well, homemade Greek yogurt is easy to prepare and is just as packed with proteins as the store-bought variety. It has great health benefits and can be used in both spicy and sweet dishes.
Unlike regular yogurt, Greek yogurt is strained in order to get rid of the liquid whey and make it thick and creamy. One cup of milk makes one cup of regular yogurt, but it requires at least three cups of milk to make a single cup of Greek yogurt. This means that the protein content in Greek yogurt is much higher, making it extremely healthy for the body. You can get all the nutrients of this food with homemade Greek yogurt.
A market research firm called NPR has reported that between 2006 and 2011, Greek yogurt sales rose by 2500%.
Homemade Greek yogurt has many health benefits and can be used in place of other high-fat dairy products. It is not only a good source of calcium and vitamins, it also helps with digestion and weight loss. No wonder it is considered such a great addition to any diet.
Homemade Greek Yogurt – A DIY Guide For A Healthy Meal
Here are some ways in which you can pair Greek yogurt with other foods, to transform your meal into a super healthy one.
- Use homemade Greek yogurt to make dips and sauces that accompany vegetable-based and meat-based entrées.
- Use it in tacos as a substitute for sour cream.
- Replace mayonnaise with homemade Greek yogurt while making salads and sandwiches.
A Few More Ways To Use Homemade Greek Yogurt
- Prepare cakes, pancakes, French toast, breads, and muffins using this special form of yogurt.
- Top baked products with Greek yogurt instead of whipped cream.
- Blend fruits and homemade Greek yogurt together into a quick and healthy fruit smoothie.
- If you’re craving something sweet yet non-fattening, mix homemade Greek yogurt with honey, dry fruits, and fresh fruits to make a delicious dessert.
Greek yogurt can be combined with your daily meal plan in a variety of ways. Save yourself the trouble of trudging to the supermarket by opting for homemade Greek yogurt over the packaged variety!